Wednesday, March 30, 2005

How the Eagle can avoid ANYTHING

You may think I'm going for the title of "Most Infrequently Updated Blog," but I am not. I simply have this reaction to most things (as I still work 62 hours a week; ah, what a gloriously useful excuse), which is:

It'll take too long.

But screw that. It's my blog and it's time to blog. ("Blog" seems like one of those universal words that can be used as a noun, adjective, verb, etc. Like "fuck" and "smurf.")

I've been thinking a lot about my fiancee's and my's plans for our honeymoon. And as I read and think about it, a particular phenomenon has been happening. As I imagine traveling and relive some of my earlier explorations, the remembered smell of those far off places has been coming back to me. Riding the "L" smells like the streets of Bangkok. Walking in Lincoln Square smells like the college I lived at in Seoul.

I think I'm having these experiences because I'm actually present in the moment, something I'm not terribly adept at being. In fact, one of my goals for the trip is to become facile at just being present in the moment, doing what I'm doing and being where I'm being. So when there is "nothing" to do, I won't pick up a book to distract myself. The flip side is that, instead of reading because I can't stand down time, when I'm reading, I'll actually be reading, not avoiding seemingly vacuous moments. THAT would be a breakthrough. And I can see what a profound difference it will make in my experience of my life. To be present in everything I do.

What's more, I could take on being present now, and not wait for the trip to have it be a priority.

(UNCOMFORTABLE SILENCE)

Nah.

I'll wait for the trip.

Would you hand me my book?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home