Friday, January 13, 2006

The lessons continue...

I'm loving the 2 year project, if that's not obvious. And because I'm actually taking it on, rather than just talking about it, a lot of issues are coming up for me to deal with. Which is good because this is stuff I have to conquer if I'm actually going to find success. Here's two of the things I've realized in the last few days.

First, I'm working on a project at work with very little structure and direction. I'm constantly distracted and it's hard to stay on task.

Which is exactly what happens with my magic. I go to work on it and think, "I'll just watch a bit of the Daily Show" or "Just a bit of computer blackjack and I'll get to work."

The difference is, I'm interested in my magic, while the world of the 1099 and the IRS doesn't do anything for me. But I'm coming to see, if I don't have a clear picture of what I'm doing, I'm more easily distracted than a retriever in a field of sticks that throw themselves.

Or something like that.

Lesson 1: Have a clear picture of where I'm going.

Second, I noticed a specific difference between how my life occurs now as opposed to how it occurred on the honeymoon and just prior to the wedding. Specifically, I wasn't doing anything on the honeymoon or just prior to the wedding except for being on the honeymoon and planning the wedding. For the most part, those were the things I was working on. No big distractions. And it was fantastic. I was happy and in love and really enjoying my life.

Now, there are lots of distractions. And that experience I had before isn't quite as consistent. What I realized is that previously I wasn't so much being "on the honeymoon" or "planning the wedding," as much as I was being present and living the life I'm in.

Distractions, per their name, can put me in my head and take me away from what's happening around me. But the experience of the time on the honeymoon and prior to the wedding is something valuable to me, that I don't want to lose.

Lesson 2: Don't use my many interests to take me out of my life, but to further bring me into it. LIVE what I'm doing. AND make an effort to be in my life as it is. Very zen, but an easier talk to talk, than walk to walk.

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

great blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home