Thursday, September 22, 2005

Countdown to the beginning

Mile a minute. That's what it feels like. Meg has been going at this pace longer and harder than I, so I feel silly telling her how overwhelmed I get at moments. Same as, during the time she was only drinking water and organic chicken broth for four days, I didn't feel quite comfortable saying, "I'm hungry."

We continue to get response cards, which is great and sad. Some fabulous people are attending, including a few surprises (including a few from out of town), but there are also "declines with regret" that are a bit upsetting. Some of them are expected and some (more sadly) surprise me. I know people have lives and previous committments, all of which I understand. (Which is why I don't hold it against them.) But no amount of logic or justification makes a difference with the disappointment.

However, that ignores the good stuff and the great people that ARE attending the wedding. I mean, really, this is an extraordinary day coming upon Meg and I. We are celebrating with our friends and loved ones the declaration and creation of a partnership and relationship for all time. That whole concept THRILLS me. To be with a woman I trust, love, cherish and admire as we live out our already extraordinary lives. Words can't express.

As a side note, I had a recent cool experience in the world of creativity. I've been working on the presents I'm getting the groomsmen and best woman. I gave it a LOT of thought and each one is inspired by the person and my relationship to them. I'm very excited about what I came up with.

The whole process reminded me of how creativity works in my head. (What with my ADD and all : ) ) When I try to work on coming up with an idea, I almost immediately get distracted. But if I force myself (this weekend I did it while sunbathing. Hey, we're going to Tahiti! It's wedding preparation!) I am surprised by what I come up with. It's a matter of pushing through the resistance and the first few predictable ideas. Once I get beyond there, really good stuff comes. The first time I discovered this was when I was in charge of the spiritual services at my summer camp for the summer. The director told me to go sit in a gazebo for 2 hours and do nothing but come up with ideas.

I pretty much planned the whole summer that afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home