Thursday, January 26, 2006

Sinnin' ain't all that bad!

Regarding the Designated Daily Duties, I didn't even make it through the weekend. I did poop scoop, but didn't organize my daily thoughts or eliminate 5 things each day. What happened was I said to myself, "I don't have to eliminate stuff on weekends; it's the weekend!"

And I listened to myself. Forgetting that not all I say to myself is necessarily worth listening to.

I then let that internal monologue expand to include not writing down my notes (Saying to self, "I'm "off" because it's the weekend.")

Now I've learned the key is to not give up, just because I missed a couple of days. Honestly, I could even change it up a bit. I could change the rules to not include the weekend! They are my rules. But it would only work if I changed them intentionally, not because it's Saturday and I don't feel like it.

But the most important thing is to not stop. I always seem to stop, feeling like the problem is I started without enough gas. (I like that analogy, though, because instead of stopping, I can metaphorically get more gas and keep going. )

The other thing it reminds me of is the origin of the word "sin," which is a roman word for when an archer missed his mark. Just missed the mark, that's all. A friend once said the most important thing to do when you've fallen off the figurative wagon is to take one action that puts you in motion, in the right direction again. On course, towards the target.

So I got back on that wagon on Monday and Tuesday.

Missed yesterday. It was my birthday. My brain said it's a valid exception and in this case, I whole heartedly agree.

For the record, though, I HAVE poop scooped every day. That's the thing I do to stay in the
game. If nothing else, I'll get cat shit out of the box.

Hey, it's something.

4 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Donaldson said...

I seem to remember you scopping and doing dishes last night...? Or does it not count because it was after midnight?

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Greatsandini said...

Scooping is the thing I've done every night, no exceptions. Dishes aren't currently on the list. : )

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But were who's dishes were they?

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Greatsandini said...

It's funny. You may not believe it, but I don't care whose dishes they are. I just want them out of the sink. Strange things begin to happen when you own your own space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home