Friday, January 20, 2006

To know thyself

Since saying I would do the following every day...

1) poop scoop
2) eliminate 5 things I don't need
3) organize and schedule the thoughts, ideas and things I need to remember that I jotted down that day

...I have successfully done so.

That's 3 whole days in a row.

What's interesting is that even after 3 days I feel different. Those 3 things are starting to shift from "unimportant" things I can do "later" or "tomorrow" to things that I just do. There is no debate in my head about whether or not I will poop scoop today, not because I suddenly want to, but because I'm just no longer giving myself the option to not do it.

It's similar to what happened when I quit smoking. I went back and forth, trying to quit and then failing, until I realized that the temptation/desire/impulse to have a cigarette was nothing more than a thought in my mind and that I could just ignore it.

So I ignore the thoughts: "The cat box isn't THAT dirty" and "It's no big deal if I just get rid of 4 things today; I'll do 6 tomorrow" and "I don't want to retype my stupid notes. I wanna relax!"

And I know that, in a way, 3 days is easy compared to a month, a year or a lifetime. I've gone 3 days before on a number of things.

But it's getting easier. And I'm beginning to know myself as a person who does what he promises to himself that he will do. Which is very fulfilling and satisfying.

Now, what am I going to add to the list?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home